Tuesday 30 August 2011

Small World

Why is it that no matter where you go, you always find someone that lived in Greenville, South Carolina?

Merrick and I jumped on the bus to head back to downtown after the race and we were just sitting down having a normal conversation when all of a sudden some guy asks us if we were from South Carolina. We say yes, and the guy went on about how it felt good to hear a southern accent again.  We were just excited that we found another American! We start up conversation with Josh and his girlfriend Tarene and then Josh starts telling us that they work for Fluor and that he was stationed in Greenville for a while then Afghanistan, and now Perth. We get excited because he dropped the name Greenville.  We tell him that's where we are from and of course that's when we start talking about Chicora Alley, Oysters, Liberty, and Merrick had to mention The G-Spot and Corner Pocket.

I was wearing a Citadel hat and Josh started asking us if we knew a Mills Maxwell. Shit if I didn't see Merrick's eyes light up with excited screaming to Josh, "That's my best friend!!!" They then start dropping other Citadel names and they ended up knowing a lot of the same people.  Such a small world.  Merrick asked for Josh's number and said he would love to get together to watch sports. Josh was just as excited to talk sports knowing that the Aussies here don't care for American Football. Merrick is thrilled he made a new friend and doesn't want to rush things, so he said he is going to wait about 2 weeks then text him!

It made our day meeting them! It never gets old when you find someone who can talk with you about Greenville!

Here are some pictures from the race we took and our final times.  I am thrilled about my time! I remember when I ran the Cooper River Bridge run I ran a 10K in 1 hour and 20 minutes and I ran this 12K in 1 hour and 18 minutes!




2 comments:

  1. merrick, I think you can do better than 2 weeks. dont be shy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he wasn't shy yesterday. He only waited 2 days! The texted back and forth yesterday about sports. He has himself a new friend!!

    ReplyDelete